This post is continuation of my post Procrastination and an answer to the most complicated modern world problem – ‘Time management’!
Yes, time management can also be a problem when we are lacking in proper knowledge to process or we try to use old school techniques in this fast forward world.
The problem lies in our mindset. We tend to apply those dusted ideas all the time without trying something out of the box.
What first advice anyone will give to you about multiplying the time ??
- Set priorities
- Develope habits
- Do hard work to follow the set rules
- Don’t ever procrastinate !
And humorously, what they really mean by this is ... “Forget your happiness and be an ultimate robot !!”
Really, have you ever thought that even after following all the rules mentioned above, will you be able to multiply your time ??
Setting priorities is good, for that it will put the important tasks in front of you but it will not increase time.
Always remember, whenever you say “yes” to one thing, you are saying “no” to an infinite things at the same time !
And there still will be the things left untouched that you had ignored while trying to prioritize something. So, no bonus time for you !!
So, what is the trick to actually multiply your time ??
It is the one that we have been ignoring since long and it involves procrastination ! But here is the key..you have to procrastinate on purpose !
Let me give you an example…
I’ve been on wordpress since last month, the same month when I had my exams. Now, there were two options.
- Either I focus on my exams and procrastinate the idea of writing on wordpress.
- Or to give my time to this community and loose the grip on studying.(As you know, there is more than just writing in this community, it takes your time. There is so much to read here !)
Now, I wanted both but I hadn’t time ! So, I used this technique which I learned while reading a book of the same name !
Here, you don’t have to focus on prioritizing anything, instead you have to just focus on eliminating the one that is not important !
Just focus and remember the things you are doing just for the sake of passing time, which are neither fruitful nor important ! For example, I had a habit of wasting my time online on various social media platforms almost more than 3-4 hours a day ! And I was continuously wasting my time after useless thoughts and random banters with friends.
So, the first thing I did was that I eliminated those time killing activities from the root and after that, I had some more time than usual.
Now, the second one is more important.I will try to define that with a quote..
You multiply your time by giving yourself the emotional permission to spend time on things TODAY that will give you more time TOMORROW.
Basically, it is all about finding out the things that are actually going to be a huge matter in your future. They may be related to your passion or profession or may be not ! Make them the center focus and the other ones that are important but can be done afterwards, apply your favorite thing there…procrastination !
In my case, my center of focus was study and writing both !! The thing is that I had emotionally accepted that writing was an important thing but not at that time ! It could be procastinated and so I did it ! I would write something in the time I usually used to spend on facebook and so, there was no loss there ! And whenever I got more time, I wrote other articles just to publish them in future !! So, I used the idea of doing the things that day that could be helpful in future !
See, the difference between settings habits and procrastinating on purpose is ..
- You don’t have to follow the set rules like a robot. You can do all the things you love and still can multiply your time.
- You don’t tell yes to everything , instead, you become emotionally strong enough to say “No” to a few things that don’t even matter to you.
- There is no regret of breaking set rules or not being able to follow habits.. there is only perdurable happiness of doing your favourite thing – procrastination !
But , But , But … before you even think of doing procrastination on purpose … mark these words…
The key behind the success of procrastination on purpose is PATIENCE.
The more patience you have, the more you can procastinate.
So, just do these things to begin a your new journey ..
- Find those one or two things that you can do today to save your time in future.
- Find the timekiller activities and try to borrow time from them to use for the things that matter.
- Be emotionally independent and mature enough to say “NO”to the things that don’t worth your time.
- Procrastinate the things that can be done in future and don’t loose focus on the center !
Here is a TEDx speech from the author of that book if you want to delve deeper in this topic.
Keep trying something new and happy procrastinating !